Thursday, August 6, 2009

Schedule Clarification

We are leaving New York on September 14th to head on down to Texas for our Gateway training which starts September 19th. We won't be on the Africa Mercy until mid November. We are planning on driving back to New York and flying out of the Rochester airport after our training is finished.

We need to sell or rent out our house before we leave for Africa so that is our biggest prayer request at this point next to raising our support.

We have found homes for both our dog and cat and are now getting ready to have a yard sale next week to get rid of a lot of our 'stuff'.

We basically have 5.5 weeks to downsize from a 1900 square foot home that we have lived in for the past 11 years into 8 duffel bags.

3 comments:

  1. Boy, I thought our downsize was difficult, but you've topped me there! I'm sure your whole perspective on what we truly 'need' in life has now changed. I remember when I went to South Africa, we were only allowed 1 large suitcase and a carry on bag - for over a year! It wasn't easy, but I managed. By the time I got back from Africa, I wondered why I needed anything else that I owned back at home. Go figure. =)

    Enjoy your last days in your home and get excited about what lies ahead. I'm so happy for you all and know that God will be with you on this new venture. Keep blogging about it, I look forward to your updates!!

    Hugs,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your place on the ship must be furnished, then, but to what extent?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Table, 4 chairs, a small couch and a kitchenette in the one room. A bed in our bedroom with built in storage for our clothes. And a bunkbed in the girls' room also with built in storage. I think the kitchenette has cupboards, a small refrigerator (at least a place for it) and possibly a microwave. I've been studying other people's pictures to get an idea of what it will look like but I know the cabins have different layouts depending on whether they are on the side of the ship or at the back like ours.

    ReplyDelete