Saturday, July 25, 2009

Anna's Story Part III

So in October of 2005 I got back on an airplane, left Deborah for the first time ever but in the capable hands of Daddy and two beloved cousins Caitlin and Cai. I met my friend in Washington D.C. where we flew the rest of the way together to Liberia.

We had some interesting experiences in that the person who was supposed to meet us at the airport thought we were coming in on a flight arriving two days later! My friend's daughter's aunt was there instead and took us to her relative's house. Liberia had just come out of the war so there was still no electricity infrastructure but if you had a generator you had power. The house we went to had a generator but they couldn't get it going except for about one minute.
The bathroom looked really nice but there was no plumbing hooked up to the sink or shower but there was a barrel of water in the bathroom to flush the toilet with. That was fine, we were good. The cockroach crawling up my leg gave me pause but I was still okay. But then we were half asleep on the best bed in the house and I felt something in the pitch black crawl along the pillow. I just said something just crawled on my pillow when my friend let out this scream!!!! The cockroach had decided to crawl over her face. Can I just say I was glad that wasn't me?

But this story is about Anna so let's get back to it! The next morning my agency sent a driver to take me to another place I could stay at and where Anna already was. And there she was! She was sleeping out on the porch so I went inside and waited for her to wake up.

No comments:

Post a Comment